Pawel is a UK and European patent attorney in our Electronics and Engineering department. He has industry experience having previously worked as a researcher for a major multinational electronics company developing memory devices. He represents a wide variety of clients in the high technology sector including a significant number of private inventors and start-up companies and clients located in the UK, Europe, Japan and the US and large multinational companies.
Pawel specialises in the fields of physics, electronics and computer software, and also in inventions which are multi-disciplinary in nature. His areas of expertise include semiconductor devices, embedded systems, power electronics, automotive electronics, nanotechnology, spintronics, printed electronics, RFID devices, telecommunications, computer networks, computer simulation, optical systems, sensors and medical devices.
He handles applications, oppositions and appeals at the European Patent Office and the UK Intellectual Property Office. He is familiar with overseas practice, particularly the US, Japan, Korea and China, obtaining protection for his clients via local associates. He also give opinions on infringement and validity.
Pawel is regularly invited by companies and universities to lecture on intellectual property and to hold intellectual property ‘clinics’. He has been reported in the press and given radio interviews on intellectual property.
In 2006, he took the lead in opening Venner Shipley’s office in Cambridge.
He is a member of the International Liaison Committee of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys.
Pawel graduated from the University of Manchester with a first class honours degree in Physics. He was awarded a PhD in Physics from Cambridge University following research into mesoscopic effects in III-V semiconductor devices. Pawel also has a certificate in Intellectual Property Law from Queen Mary, University of London.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys
- Member of the European Patent Institute
Awards and Recognition
- Legal 500 - recommended as "knowledgeable" and "hardworking”.
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars 2017 - "Pawel Piotrowicz recognised as a "notable" practitioner who is "knowledgeable" but equally "friendly" to work with".
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars 2018 - "Pawel Piotrowicz impresses with his “creative thinking” and ability to deliver services at “reasonable costs”. He is also commended for “good communication and being a team player"".
- Iam Patent 1000, 2018 - "Pawel Piotrowicz is all about details and persistence. "He intuitively understands clients' inventions and creates effective arguments to present them in applications that are smoothly granted"".