Jan is the firm’s Managing Partner and also heads up the Electronics and Engineering Group. He is a UK and European patent attorney and solicitor. Prior to his legal career, he gained industry experience as a control engineer in one of the UK’s largest chemical/pharmaceutical companies, working mainly on control technology and software simulation of manufacturing processes.
Jan specialises in patent prosecution and advice in the electronics and software fields. He enjoys the variety and challenge of working in new fields of technology and has gained experience over a wide range of technical subject matter, including cryptography, digital systems, display technology, telecommunications, operating system software and fuel and battery cell technology, to name but a few. He also has substantial experience of prosecuting applications in the challenging area of business related software, where he has acted for a betting exchange as well as providers of trading, gaming and other internet based platforms.
Jan has extensive experience of European prosecution, opposition and appeal procedures and is increasingly involved in litigation matters, both before the EPO and in infringement proceedings before the UK courts, as part of Venner Shipley’s legal team.
Jan attended the University of Southampton where he gained a first class honours degree in Electronic Engineering. He then completed his Law Society Finals with distinction at Chester College of Law.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys
- Member of the European Patent Institute
- Member of the Law Society
Recognition and Awards
- Gamechanger of the Year - ACQ5 Global Awards, 2017
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars - Patents, 2017 and 2018
- IAM Patent 1000, The World's Leading Patent Practitioners, 2017
- IAM Patent 1000, 2018 - "Jan Walaski gets so embedded in his clients’ businesses that without a second’s hesitation he can answer questions that would normally be reserved for in-house counsel".